Wednesday, July 8, 2009

SOME REFLECTIONS FROM THE DIRECTOR

THESE ARE SOME REFLECTIONS I PASSED ON TO OUR STUDENTS AS THEY ADJUST TO LIFE AT HOME

Was my experience real?

In Uganda we met a God who was larger and more real. We walked into the book of Acts and the Bible became real. We met people who had tremendous joy and hope in suffering and young people whose outlandish dreams are becoming reality. We saw that spiritual warfare is real and God is powerful in converting people before our eyes. Our faith became a very relevant commodity.

Was this just Africa? Is God different back in the USA?
Do I leave what I learned in the “African Experience Box” or do I move into a new paradigm for living?

Our paradigm entering Uganda was a predominately western/academic/ materialist worldview. We lived in a predominately spiritual culture/ worldview for 4 weeks and experienced God as the Lord of the nations and the reality of His Kingdom advancing. Now, our goal is a paradigm shift in overlaying the former grid with a new one. Not that the old paradigm should be ignored, nor to shelve the new grid but to live in the intersection of these...to see life through a new lens or grid.

Most of you (in reading your evaluations) are seeing reality correctly as; “My God has become a God of the nations, a global God.” Or “ I want to live a ‘missionary’ lifestyle.”
You also are formulating plans to integrate these concepts into action on campus. I’m impressed with the many ideas written down and thinking behind integrating social justice and our mission on campus.

One thought: make sure you are continuing to feed your soul in ways that build your new paradigm of life. Its’ important that your heart takes on the new reality that you have experienced so it just doesn’t become another idea that fades away. You must believe that what you experienced is true…not just another academic exercise. Watch that you don’t slip back into your original paradigm.

Soul action:
Set a block of two hours this week to ask God to take this experience from the head level to the soul level… to a place where you live life from. Look over your journal and pray for what to translate into your new worldview.

I give my life to Follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender…..I surrender.

Savior, He can move the mountain
My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save
Forever, Author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus, conquered the grave Mighty to Save

Warmly
Tom Brink, Global Issues Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment